Google Sugar Dot Cookies: Beginners - Part 1 - Sugar Cookie Recipes

Monday, June 4, 2012

Beginners - Part 1 - Sugar Cookie Recipes

Are you wanting to decorate sugar cookies with royal icing but don't know how or where to begin?

I made sugar cookies many times over the years for Christmas and birthdays.  They were very simply done.  I kinda just winged it.  One Christmas I decided that I wanted to learn how to really do it and make my cookies amazing.  I started googling and reading absolutely everything that I could find.  My cookie obsession was born that December.

I found that there are a lot of recipes out there for cookies and icing.  There are a lot of different techniques too.  Everyone does things in a way that works for them.  Not everything I tried worked for me.  It took (and still takes) a lot of experimentation to get the best results.  Choose a recipe and get started.  If it doesn't turn out exactly the way you'd like, make a few changes and try again.  

I'm often asked what recipes I use.  I'll list the cookie recipes here along with others that I plan to use someday.  I'll keep updating it as I find and try more.  I hope you find it useful!




Sugar Cookie Recipes . . .

Sugarbelle has two posts about her recipe.  They're both filled with great tips.  She uses powdered sugar in her recipe.
How to Bake the Perfect Sugar Cookie
Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe

No Fail Sugar Cookies is a very popular recipe (also known as NFSC).  I often use this one, but reduce the amount of baking powder.

Lilaloa's Vanilla Variation

Cookie Crazie's Sugar Cookie Recipe - she uses sour cream

Bake at 350's Sugar Cookie Recipe

Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipes . . .

Glorious Treats Chocolate Rolled Cookie Recipe 

Lilaloa's End-All for Chocolate Cookies Recipe

 

A Variety of Flavors Cookie Recipes . . . 

Sugarbelle has several . . .
Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Lemon Poppy Seed Cookie Recipe
Red Velvet Roll-Out Cookie Recipe
Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
Brown Sugar Roll-Out Recipe - This one I tried and loved.  It's perfect for fall.  It tastes like an apple cookie, though there are no apples in it.

I am Baker's Red Velvet Cookie Recipe

If you're new to cookieing, just choose a recipe above and go for it!  Let me know how it goes!

You can find icing recipes here.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Dotty, This is just the post I was waiting for. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. which recipe did you use for the cookies in the photo above?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used Sugarbelle's. The links are above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to start baking and decorating sugar cookies! Thanks for all the tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dotty. Thanks for posting this. Do you reduce or omit the baking powder in Sugarbelle's cookie recipe? Your cookies posted above don't have any spreading. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy. I've actually gone back and forth a few times on the BP. I halved the BP for a long time. (I think that's what I did in the photo above.) Then I started omitting it all together. Now I'm back to half the BP. I'm not sure, but I think that my cookies were crunchier without the BP. I like a softer cookie, so went back to it- at least for now. :)

      Delete
  6. WHICH IS THE BEST FOR COOKIE POPS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would use the same dough for cookie pops as for regular cookies. All of the recipes above will work beautifully. It's just a matter of personal preference.

      Delete
  7. These are the best cookies, mine came out great. Lots of chocolate which is why this cookie is so good. This will be my new go to recipe for choc. chip cookies. It is the best I have ever had.


    http://tasteusa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which recipe uses powdered sugar??

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...